Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

Spirit Sunday-Trading Our Sorrows




In church we sing a song that that says, " I'm trading my sorrows...I'm trading my pain, I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord."  What does this mean to you?  That we make a conscience effort to find joy even in the hardest of times where it seems that joy just can't be found?

In God's word He tells us that Jesus was "...sent to bind up the brokenhearted," (Isaiah 61:1 NIV), in the Hebrew, the word used for "broken" here means, "shattered into pieces". So Jesus came not only to save me, but to bind: to make secure by tying; to wrap around with something so as to enclose or cover; my broken, shattered heart.  Wow, I think I can find some joy in that.  Chapter 61 goes on to say that not only did he come to "bind up the brokenhearted", but He came to "...provide for those who grieve: beauty for ashes, oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of the spirit of despair."  Found your joy yet?

Although we go through hard times, and we all know that there WILL be hard times, we can take comfort and joy in the promises of His word.  Psalms 30:5, ..."weeping may last through the night, but joy comes in the morning." Psalm 126:5, "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy." Isaiah 35:10, "and the ransomed of the LORD will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away. Matthew 5:4, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." John 16:20, "I tell you the truth, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy." Revelations 7:17, "For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."

Now that is what I'm talking about!  May the joy of the Lord be your strength. (Nehemiah 8:10)



No comments:

Post a Comment